Saturday 7 September 2013

The Downfall of the T.V. Theme Song

     I was watching the Emmy awards a couple of years ago with Neil Patrick Harris hosting and he pointed out the lack of theme songs on current tv shows.  I have since thought about that from time to time and it is so true.  Most tv shows now have no theme song.  They might have a little opening thing with a little music and the title of the tv show but that is it.
     I guess the rise in production costs and the desire for getting the most out of a one hour time slot has led to the fading of the theme song into tv history.  Too bad.  I love a good theme song.  It becomes memorable and any time you hear it you think of that show.
     Big Bang Theory has a great theme song written and performed by Barenaked Ladies.  It's so fun my husband bought it from iTunes.  A good theme song can capture the feel of the tv show in less than a minute. Remember the theme to MacGyver?  I have that as a ringtone on my cell phone.
     I'm glad that Hawaii: Five-0 kept the iconic theme song, updated for the new century of course, from the original series. Could you imagine that show without it?  It just wouldn't be the same.
     I love the theme song from Doctor Who.  Any Whovian worth their salt can sing that theme song at the drop of a hat.  It is so fun and fits the show so well.
     What theme songs are your favorite?
     

No comments:

Post a Comment